In emergency veterinary medicine, it is not uncommon for there to be a need for a transfusion of whole blood or its derivatives. In patients who have lost a large amount of blood, whether it is acute external (from wounds, cuts, from natural openings) or internal bleeding (bleeding into body cavities, joints, at the fracture site).
Also, due to hemolysis caused by various causes (poisoning, hematological diseases, infectious diseases), it is necessary to compensate not only the liquid part of the blood but also the elements and cells that are in it. For that reason, it is important that certain amounts of blood taken from donors are always present and prepared in emergency care units. The choice of donors must be such as to minimize the possibility of complications that may arise from the transfusion so that the blood we give to the patient is free from infectious agents of various diseases that can be transmitted.
In the process of taking blood from a donor, it is very important to pay attention to the safety and health status of the individual from whom we take blood.
Blood donation in dogs
In order for a dog to be a blood donor, it needs to meet the following criteria:
- Min. 27kg body weight, PCV value to be above 40%
- Females should be sterilized to prevent the effects of hormones on the hematological system
- Donors must be physically healthy, regularly vaccinated, tested negative for blood-borne diseases (Babesiosis, Heartworm, Ehrlichia, Anaplasma, Boreliosa…)
- Blood collection is possible in the amount of 22ml / kg every 4 weeks (1x450ml)
Blood donation in cats
For a cat to be a blood donor, it needs to meet the following criteria:
- Min. 5kg body weight, PCV value to be above 30%
- Donors must be physically healthy, regularly vaccinated, tested negative for blood-borne diseases (FeLV, FIV, FIP, Mycoplasma haemofelis)
- Blood collection is possible in the amount of 15ml / kg once a month
Blood bank: If you want your dog or cat to be a blood donor, please fill out the form (note, for blood donation, we offer you a free clinical examination of the animal, blood test, and 4D test – a test for the most common infectious blood diseases).